Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If You Wanna Run...

...first you have to learn to walk.

I'm running (pun totally intended) a bit behind today. Sorry for the late post! I'm still sick, which means I have about zero energy for much of anything. Of course, this doesn't explain why I felt the need to clean my bathroom at 11PM last night. Let me tell you, when you find yourself scrubbing your bathtub at midnight, it's time for a vacation.

Anyway, I wanted to talk a bit about where my writing is today. To be blunt, it's NOWHERE. I've been off track for so long, I'm not even sure I know how to find the track anymore, let alone run the dang thing. The very idea of sitting down and even reading through my manuscript is very scary at this point. I'm afraid of what I'll find. I'm afraid it will be utter and total crap. That it's completely unsalvagable.

Even worse, maybe it won't be that bad...but I won't know how to write anymore. Perhaps I'm too out of touch with Madison... perhaps I'll never be able to get into Gabe's or Drew's head again... perhaps It's just been TOO long.

Well, all this could be true. Or it could all be in my head. Only time will tell.

So, where does the running/walking analogy come in? Well, I have to tell ya...I'm a quandry to myself sometimes. I've decided to take up running. It's weird how your body works. Get diagnosed and treated for diabetes and WHAM you have all kinds o' energy to burn. Funny how that works, eh?

I love walking--I walk 2-3 miles a day, minimum, but I find it's never really enough anymore. My body wants speed...it wants to burn up the pavement. So yeah, I'm starting a running program that's meant to get you running at least 2 miles in 8 weeks. Slow and steady...and hopefully nowhere near the point I'll want to cough up a lung or keel over from lack of oxygen.

It's funny, though... I've never been a runner. In fact, I hated it back in junior high, when I was actually required to do exercise. And yes, it's been THAT long since I've done any distance kind of running. And even then, it was only about a mile. So, why in the world would I want to do it now? Why in the world would I think I could start this many years later...at my age (cough, 28)...when I've never really DONE it before?

That's one for the stars...but the thing is, it's not impossible. And with this slow and steady program, I'll build some endurance...ease into the whole distance thing at a reasonable pace. And heck, the program isn't set in stone. If I need to slow it down a bit, I can...if I find I'm way ahead of the running game, I can speed it up.

So, why, I'm asking myself...can't I look at writing like this? Why do I have to run a marathon my first week back on the track? Maybe instead, I can start with some warm-ups. Maybe a test lap to see how I do. If that's too much, I can drop down to a walk... Or maybe call it a day early and come back tomorrow.

The most important thing is that I show up and try each day.

It's always easy to say, isn't it? But yeah, I have to get back on the track. To be frank, I'm pretty tired of sitting on the sidelines.

Happy writing, everyone. I think I'll start off with a half hour tonight. See how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. How'd it go Jen? I keep telling myself the same, but boy it's been so hard getting up early in the morning... And there seem to be more family and friend events going on than ever! I need an extra 5 hours in each day...

    ReplyDelete