Friday, May 7, 2010

Music for Friday

Good morning all,

Life has bumbled along and gotten in the way of Kristen getting this week's installment of A Kill in Time finished, so I thought I'd share some more music with you this Friday. Since the last time we talked about the music that inspires us to write, I've been thinking of more and more songs that I've come to associate with the process of writing this story. I thought today I'd share some Australian artists that you overseas may or may not have heard, plus a couple of others.

Pending other life events, Kristen, Rachel and Jen might come along during the day and add some more of their own, too.

First up on the Australian artist list is Kisschasy, with their most recent release, Dinosaur. It's all about being separated by distance, and it makes me think about Bill and Kit. Sigh. I love it.



Next up, Australian favourite Sarah Blasko, whose music is often haunting and lovely, with Explain. I love the atmosphere, tension and emotion of this song:



While we're talking about emotional songs, another one that always puts me in the mood of my story is Ghosts, by Laura Marling:



And lastly, a song that always brings a tear to my eye- All Good Things, by Nelly Furtado. The super hot dude in the video doesn't hurt the eyes, either (g). Have a fabulous weekend, all!



Ohh, I love Friday videos. I'll play. -k

As for music that inspires me when writing. Oddly, there is one song that totally works for ALL of my stories to date. That is Zero 7's In the Waiting Line. I suppose the theme of seeing more than is there, not knowing who to trust, not wanting to wait for live to come along but take it by the horns is of interest to me and thus my characters. Anyway, yeah, I hear this song and think of my heroines. Every time.

All that, and I really, really love this song! :)


Finally, one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands. How Soon is Now? by The Smiths. If I can give a little love for The Smiths for a moment. I discovered The Smiths when I was thirteen. There is nothing quite like them and I think their brilliant. Johnny Marr is a legend on the guitar. Moreover, Morrissey is an excellent writer. He has a way of crystalizing things with just a few lyrics.

Take: There's a club if you'd like to go. You could meet somebody who really loves you. So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave all alone. And you go home and you cry and you want to die.

Depressing, yeah, but I don't anyone who hasn't felt like that at one point or another.

As for the song, How Soon is Now? It kind of sums up my mood of late (erm, not the alone in a club part but..) so it came to mind. ETA: My character Archer from West of the Moon would probably pick this as his song.





1 comment:

  1. Oooh, The Smiths! This one's one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KH0NpeYZsk

    ReplyDelete