Monday, January 17, 2011

Patience


Well here we are, halfway through the first month of the brand new year. Sadly, and to my growing frustration, I have yet to do any significant work on my WIP.

By now I had hoped I would be much, much, further along in this book-writing process than what I am … like, at the stage where I have a draft as good as I can get it, out in the hands of beta readers, stage of the process. And from where I am sitting, that goal is still looking a very long way off.

Of course, I have very good reasons why I’m not there yet. Kids home on holidays, health issues, plot and character revelations that I’ve put on the backburner but nevertheless will take a lot of time and hard work when I get round to tackling them, the fact I’m still climbing that writing learning curve … and life, in general, getting in the way.

But still, I find myself wanting to beat my head upon the wall. Other writers manage to tackle obstacles of all degrees and variety in their lives and still get their books written; why can’t I?

I have to keep reminding myself – be patient. My journey is my own. As long as I am making progress, it’s all good. I will get there, in the end.

To make sure I keep this in mind - and to prevent me from pulling out all my hair in frustration - today, I’ve printed out a few quotes and stuck them above my desk where I can see them every time I sit down to tackle my writing.

Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy.

~ Saadi

Have patience with all things, but chiefly, have patience with yourself.

~ St Francis de Sales

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties and obstacles vanish.

~ John Quincy Adams

You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.

~ Franklin P Jones

(Heh, that last one is on the list just because it makes me chuckle … wryly.)

Are you patient with your writing? How do you keep going, when you’re frustrated and far from where you want to be? How do you keep perspective?

For the final word on the topic, I give you that great bard of the 1990s, Mr Axl Rose, and his musings on patience, that most elusive of human qualities ... so knot your bandanas, slip into your tight leathers, and enjoy … and remember to have just a little patience.


5 comments:

  1. I love and *need* the St. Francis de Sales quote over my computer. Thanks, Rachel. Take care and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite songs, Rachel!

    And yes, St Francis de Sales' quote is very apt. Every day, at least, I have a mini fit in my head: "why isn't this book finished yet????" I don't know why I constantly feel like I'm running out of time, but that sensation never goes away. So I feel guilty if I don't work every day. It's all a vicious cycle.

    Except that I love my story! And some days are good ones. Like today, when I was so far in Baha's head that I kept sneaking off to the stairwells at work to write...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I had that phone! I totally forgot about it until I saw it just now. lololol. Ah, the neon. It stank too. Like brain cancer waiting to happen or something. (g)

    But I'm confused. What is this patience you speak of? And where can I find it??? I need to know now, now NOW! (bg)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, good to keep in mind! My journey is my own and I'll get there. It's just hard sometimes when I see others finishing their first drafts or second drafts and I'm still pecking away, oh-so slowly, at my own story.

    (The hair is a hoot in that video. To think that was the height of coolness when I was in HS. I almost think it's worse than bell bottoms and side-burns...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zan Maire - thanks for the well wishes. And I must keep reading that quote, too, especially as I still have yet to find any time to write this week. Patience, patience, patience ...

    Deniz - heh, that same mini-fit is playing out in my head right now. :-P Glad you found some time to write, even if you had to sneak it.

    Kristen - LOL, ah, what a cool phone! And as for you having patience ... well, I know that's a tad hard to summon up at the moment, for sure, but what you do have in bucketsful is its counterpart - perseverance. You're doing just fine. ;-)

    Susan - ah, I know exactly how you feel, but you will get there, I know it. And OMG, yes, the hair! My Miss Six was watching that video over my shoulder, and when the shaggy haired blond dude came on screen she piped up, "Mummy, is that a lady or a man?" (G) So NOT a child of the 80s/90s..

    ReplyDelete