Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Cheat's Post on Raising Stakes

I'm wallowing in my sick bed today, so I'm going to cheat and link you to a great discussion on a particular method of raising the stakes in your story (stake raising being a current topic of interest over at Compuserve's Books and Writers Forum, here and here and here and here.)

Author Alexandra Sokoloff gives us another take on raising the stakes for your characters with her post - "The Offer S/He Can't Refuse."

I know I've said it before, but Alexandra's posts (so many, many, many of them!) on technical elements of writing (structuring plot, steps to follow when revising, understanding what drives your characters, etc) are SO worth reading. Much of what she writes is very insightful, and makes a lot of sense, and I always leave her blog with a whole slew of ideas for my own WIP. Oh, and she writes some pretty damn good books, too!

Anyway, I hope those of you thinking about stakes find this interesting, perhaps even helpful. And in the meantime, I'm crawling back to bed with my box of Kleenex and a cup of lemon and honey tea. Bleargh.


1 comment: